The process of finding grants typically begins with prospect research. Foundation Directory Online is the Foundation Center's searchable database that provides an unsurpassed level of comprehensive and accurate information on U.S. grantmakers and their grants.
New to finding funders? Start learning now with our free class, Introduction to Finding Funders, available as an online webinar or as an in-person class.
We also offer these free online resources for finding grants:
- Requests for Proposals (RFPs): Announcements of funding opportunities. Also available as an RSS feed or free weekly e-newsletter.
- Foundation Directory Online Free: Search by name, city, state, ZIP, or EIN to get contact details, grantmaker information and links to recent 990s.
- Map of International Grants: Click on a country to see a list of recipients and their funders for recent years. Provides basic contact details for funders.
- Foundations Respond to the Economic Crisis: Click on a state, then continue drilling down by county, city, ZIP, or Congressional district to see grant recipients and details, which include links to basic funder profiles.
See also our related Knowledge Base articles on:
Please note that foundations generally give to nonprofits with 501(c)(3) status. If you don’t have exempt status, you might consider finding a nonprofit to work with or act as your fiscal sponsor. These might help you qualify for more funding. To learn more, please see our articles on fiscal sponsorship.
Have a question about this topic? Ask us!
The Foundation Center's Ask Us service is available 24/7 to answer your questions related to starting a nonprofit, finding grants, or other fundraising and management queries.
Selected resources below may also be helpful.
Thank you for rating!
You have already rated this page, you can only rate it once!Your Rating: Average Rating (6 votes cast):
Search the Knowledge Base
You May Also Like
Questions by Category
- Funding Resources
- Funding Research
- Nonprofit Management
- Individual Grantseekers
- Resources for Non-U.S. Grantseekers
- Preguntas y respuestas en español