Even with a clear fundraising plan in place, nonprofits sometimes can find themselves temporarily short of cash, due to unforeseen circumstances like disasters or delays in payments.
The Foundation Center does not provide grants, recommend specific funders, or approach them on your behalf, but we can point you to resources to find possible funders and useful advice.
Here are some tips from consultants Tom Triplett and Alexis Cress:
- All hands on deck. Reach out to your former and current donors, suppliers, board members, and clients, through as many channels as possible (email, social media, web, phone, etc.). Tell them your situation, and ask them for help. Ask your board members to reach out to their contacts.
- Increase earned income. Raise prices on good/services. Sell "backroom" services that your nonprofit can provide for others, like office space, human resources, accounting, fiscal sponsorship, or consulting.
- Ask about discretionary funds. Some foundations allow senior staff to make small grants without having to go through the usual full application process. Call each of your current funders to see if this possibility exists.
- Ask about emergency loan/grant programs. Call your local United Way, community foundation, or Foundation Center Cooperating Collection to learn if such funds exist in your area.
For more ideas of revenue sources that can be accessed quickly, usually within 30 days, see their article, "20 Emergency Funding Sources for Nonprofits".
Key points to remember:
- Use several methods to raise cash.
- Ask your current donors for help, and ask them to share your appeal with their networks.
- Give thanks and status updates to your supporters frequently.
- Revisit your org's finances - lower expenses, increase income, tweak business models, etc. - and communicate your new plans to your supporters to show how your org will avoid cash flow problems in the future.
See also our related Knowledge Base articles:
Selected resources below may also help.
Thank you for rating!
You have already rated this page, you can only rate it once!Your Rating: Average Rating (0 votes cast):
Search the Knowledge Base
Questions by Category
- Funding Resources
- Funding Research
- Nonprofit Management
- Individual Grantseekers
- Resources for Non-U.S. Grantseekers
- Preguntas y respuestas en español