Hiring a consultant is much like hiring an employee. Some key points are:
- Know why you need a consultant and what you want him/her to do
- Ask for word-of-mouth recommendations or consult professional associations
- Interview candidates to assess skills, experience, and fit with your organization
- Check references
- Determine fees and payment schedule
- Have a detailed written agreement
Powered by Pro Bono: The Nonprofits Step-by-Step Guide to Scoping, Securing, Managing, and Scaling Pro Bono Resources is Taproot Foundation’s how-to guide for bringing capacity building resources into your nonprofit.
Beyond Cash Guide for Nonprofit Boards is a guide on how nonprofit boards can tap pro bono and in-kind resources, co-written by Taproot Foundation and BoardSource.
To learn more about each of these points, please see the resources below.
See also our related Knowledge Base articles:
To learn more about this topic, selected resources below may also be helpful.
Search the Knowledge Base
You May Also Like
Questions by Category
- Funding Resources
- Funding Research
- Nonprofit Management
- Individual Grantseekers
- Resources for Non-U.S. Grantseekers
- Preguntas y respuestas en español