Sharing space (and other resources) can decrease an organization's overhead costs and improve efficiency. Sharing can also help organizations expand their reach if the collaboration occurs between groups with complementary mission objectives. Aside from the benefits, some additional issues surrounding shared space should be considered.
Finding shared space may be a simple matter of leveraging existing networks and/or contacting organizations that serve the same population(s) as yours. Below are a few options for learning about and finding shared spaces:
- The Nonprofit Centers Network (NCN) provides a browseable database of Multi-Tenant Nonprofit Centers (MTNCs) throughout the country. NCN also provides resources and publications for successful shared space ventures.
- Search Google for "multi-tenant nonprofit center" + your state or region.
- Search idealist.org's Resources pages for the the term "shared space" for postings submitted by other organizations.
- Contact your statewide nonprofit organization for possible referrals or assistance in finding shared space.
- Use the Nonprofit Startup Resources by State Map. After selecting your state, scroll to the "Management/Technical Assistance Providers" section to see if any shared space programs are listed. Note: the Startup Map is continually being updated, and not every state will have shared space listings.
Nonprofit collaborations can lead to greater security and sustainability in the long term. Sharing office space is just one form of nonprofit collaboration. Our Nonprofit Collaboration Database provides examples of real, successful nonprofit collaborations (including shared space arrangements).
Selected web sites below present further information on the practice of sharing space.
Thank you for rating!
You have already rated this page, you can only rate it once!Your Rating: Average Rating (0 votes cast):
Search the Knowledge Base
Questions by Category
- Funding Resources
- Funding Research
- Nonprofit Management
- Individual Grantseekers
- Resources for Non-U.S. Grantseekers
- Preguntas y respuestas en español