skip to content

Knowledge Base

Where can I find "pro bono" tax or legal assistance for my nonprofit?

If you have a legal or tax-related question, Foundation Center librarians may be able to point you to resources for informational purposes only, but we cannot give specific legal or tax advice. For definitive answers, you should consult an attorney or accountant.

At the end of this article are lists of pro bono legal service providers compiled by other organizations. If you cannot find legal services with these lists, here are some ways to find free or low-cost legal services for nonprofits in your area:

Please note that some providers may charge nominal fees to defray costs, or limit their services to nonprofits in specific fields, like arts or human services. Contact providers directly or visit their web sites to learn about their requirements.

If you are paying someone to prepare your IRS forms (e.g., Form 990 or Form 1023), s/he must have a current Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN). Providers who prepare these forms without compensation are not required to have a PTIN. Learn more about PTIN requirements.

In addition to lists of providers, selected web sites below include blogs and organizations that discuss legal topics relevant to nonprofits.

More articles on consultants »


Web Sites

* indicates staff pick

Rate Content

You don't have access to rate this page.

Log in or create a user account to rate this page.

Average Rating (1 votes cast):
  • Currently 3 out of 5 Stars.

Thank you for rating!

You have already rated this page, you can only rate it once!

Your rating has been changed, thanks for rating!