*Special Program* Going Solo, Going Big: Turning Consulting Clients into Fans
Friday, April 13, 2018 9:30 am
4:30 pm ET
In-person | Washington, DC
This event is no longer available.
No matter how confident you may be about your consulting content, it’s your interactions with clients that will determine your ultimate success. This day-long workshop for new and aspiring consultants will walk you through the phases of the consulting process, exploring tools and techniques to manage projects efficiently, and in ways that build lasting client rapport. The workshop includes case studies as well as stories and lessons learned from veteran consultants.
Participants will come away understanding the tools and techniques that will make the best use of their time and streamline their days. And, how to build client relationships that result in repeat business and referrals.
What we’ll cover
• Mental models that shape the consulting engagement
• The six stages of an engagement
• How to build trust with your clients at each step
• How to help clients make and manage change
• Case studies and lessons learned about working with clients
• How to build your consulting toolkit
• Strategies to take yourself to the next level
What else you’ll get
You’ll receive a complete set of handouts that includes all session materials, exercises, checklists, and worksheets. Also, a planner to help you capture your ideas and key learnings to help you build your consulting toolkit and help you elevate your practice.
This class is eligible for 6 CFRE credits.
What others are saying
Courses like this are rare. Give yourself a chance to jumpstart your new career in a way that might otherwise take you months or years. The depth and breadth of information has led to consistently stellar feedback:
“One of the most useful workshops I’ve ever taken. Really.”
"Very practical and immediately applicable/implementable."
"Susan and Don were indeed experts. Loved it!"
You’ll learn from experts
Meet the workshop leaders and their consulting journeys – spanning 40 years of building and leading successful consulting practices.
- Spent the first years of her career working for various higher education organizations.
- Founded Resource Partners LLC in 2001 to help nonprofits strengthen their income generation.
- Chose to give back to the field by collecting essays from successful consultants and publishing The Nonprofit Consulting Playbook.
- Later expanded her firm’s work to include an emphasis on board development.
- Further incorporated teaching and writing into her career by teaching a graduate course at Johns Hopkins University and publishing Nonprofit Board Service for the GENIUS.
- Susan’s greatest consulting lessons: The variety of experiences available to us is unlimited. As you begin to learn the options available, your career becomes an endless puzzle of goals and new experiences.
- Nonprofit sector leader since 1983.
- First 10 years as a deputy then CEO of several nonprofits.
- Started his consulting practice in 1993, as a solo practitioner focused on planning.
- In 1995, found his calling – leadership succession and executive transitions, which has been the bulk of his work ever since.
- In 2003, cofounded TransitionGuides, a firm that became a thought leader on executive succession and transition. He and his partner grew the firm into a seven-figure national practice with a dozen associates working on 30–40 projects a year.
- In 2013, after a decade of the dynamics of business building, he sold his interest in the company to return to the freedom of being a solo practitioner.
- Has written three books, each of which resulted in a major turning point in his consulting business.
- Don’s greatest consulting lessons: Be in action, try things, embrace serendipity and be open to changing courses. Success in consulting or freelancing is a personal, professional, and business developmental journey. Your engagements will expose you to new opportunities to develop your practice. But none of that will happen unless you just get started.
Everyone blazes their own trail to consulting or freelancing success. Only you can take the first step, but we can help you make a bold leap forward!
This event is no longer available.
Training Event Calendar
Register online below or by calling
We periodically offer sign-language interpreted classes. To be notified as to when these classes will be available, please email DCTraining@foundationcenter.org.
Due to our space limitations, please let us know 48 hours in advance if you need to cancel.