Foundation Center does not give grants/donations, suggest specific funders, or approach them on your behalf. More about Foundation Center's mission. But we can point you to resources that should help you in your funding search
Before seeking foundation grants to help offset the costs of your higher education, you should pursue the following avenues:
- Learn about federal aid opportunities.
- Fill out the online Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to calculate an early estimate of your eligibility.
- Learn about state-level funding from your state's financial aid agency.
- Contact the financial aid office(s) at the school(s) you are considering.
- Explore scholarship sites.
- Ask about scholarships from other organizations in your personal and professional networks, like the office for your academic program or professional association(s) that you've joined.
- Local or regional alumni groups for the school(s) you are considering.
- Community, civic and religious organizations.
- Businesses or corporations that employ you, your parents, or your spouse.
You can search for foundation grants with Foundation Grants to Individuals Online, our searchable database of grantmakers that provide support directly to individual grantseekers, including students. Start with a Type of Support search for "Scholarships or Graduate support or Fellowships or Awards". Include a Field of Interest search for terms that describe yourself or your academic/professional interests.
To search from your own computer, subscribe online. You also can use it for free at Foundation Center libraries and Funding Information Network locations.
If you are seeking funding as a undergraduate student, please see our related Knowledge Base article, Where can I find information about financial aid as an undergraduate student?
Worksheet for scholarship seekers
Answer the questions in these fillable PDF worksheets before you start your scholarship search. Your answers will help you focus your search and suggest words or phrases that you can use in you search to uncover opportunities you might not have considered before. Download the worksheets.
Free recorded webinars on scholarships and loans
>> How to Find & Win Scholarships and Fellowships
Get expert advice on how to find scholarship opportunities and prepare winning application, with Mark Kantrowitz.
>> Getting a Grip on Your Student Loans
Learn how to more effectively manage your student debt, with Heather Jarvis.
>> Finding Foundation Support for Your Education
Find out what foundations look for in scholarship applicants.
To learn more about this topic, selected resources below might also be helpful.
Have a question about this topic? Ask us!
Foundation Center's Ask Us service will answer your questions within one business day.Ask Us