A nonprofit can raise funds outside of its home state. However, most states require individuals and organizations to register before soliciting contributions there. Thus, not only must you register in the state where you are based, but you must also register in the state(s) where you will conduct fundraising activities.

The Unified Registration Statement (URS) represents an effort to consolidate the information and data requirements of all states that require registration of nonprofit organizations performing charitable solicitations within their jurisdictions. Please consult the URS map since some states do not require registration while others do not accept the URS.

See also our related Knowledge Base article:

- Where can I find information on online fundraising?

More articles funding resources

Topic(s) Fundraising Starting a Nonprofit

Have a question about this topic? Ask us!

Foundation Center's Ask Us service will answer your questions within one business day.

Ask Us

Este artículo está disponible en español

See Spanish Version

eLearning at Foundation Center