Hiring a consultant is much like hiring an employee. Some key points are:
- Know why you need a consultant and what you want him/her to do
- Ask for word-of-mouth recommendations or consult professional associations
- Interview candidates to assess skills, experience, and fit with your organization
- Check references
- Determine fees and payment schedule
- Have a detailed written agreement
Powered by Pro Bono: The Nonprofits Step-by-Step Guide to Scoping, Securing, Managing, and Scaling Pro Bono Resources is Taproot Foundation's how-to guide for bringing capacity building resources into your nonprofit.
Beyond Cash Guide for Nonprofit Boards is a guide on how nonprofit boards can tap pro bono and in-kind resources, co-written by Taproot Foundation and BoardSource.
See also our related Knowledge Base articles:
Have a question about this topic? Ask us!
Foundation Center's Ask Us service will answer your questions within one business day.Ask Us