Foundation Center does not give grants/donations, suggest specific funders, or approach them on your behalf. More about Foundation Center's mission. But we can point you to resources that should help you in your funding search.

Most forms of assistance for housingmedical bills, or other personal expenses such as debt relief will come from charitable organizations or government assistance programs, rather than grants from foundations. Foundation grants are generally awarded to nonprofit organizations with 501(c)(3) status. Those that give grants to individuals typically do so to help pay for education, or to support artistic or research projects.

Foundation Center does not give grants, make referrals to specific funders, or approach them on anyone's behalf. 

If you need funds urgently, more immediate resources for funding may be available in your area, including government agencies, local organizations, and gifts or loans from generous individuals. You might also contact your elected officials to ask about government-sponsored or other programs for which you may be eligible.

If you are outside the United States, we recommend that you search for NGOs that work in your country. Try an internet search for your country's name and "relief assistance NGOs." You can also browse the staff-recommended websites in our article, Where can I search for NGOs online?

See our related Knowledge Base articles:

Where can I find help with emergency housing costs?
How can we raise money for a person or family in need?
- How can I find funding for seniors, veterans, or people with disabilities?
Where can I find help with medical bills?

More Knowledge Base resources for individual grantseekers


Topic(s) Support for Individual Grantseekers

Population Group(s) Economically Disadvantaged

Have a question about this topic? Ask us!

Foundation Center's Ask Us service will answer your questions within one business day.

Ask Us

Este artículo está disponible en español

See Spanish Version

eLearning at Foundation Center