Most forms of assistance to individuals for housingmedical bills, or other personal expenses like debt relief will come from charitable organizations or government assistance programs, rather than grants from foundations. Foundation grants are generally awarded to nonprofit organizations with 501(c)(3) status. Those that give grants to individuals typically do so to help pay for education, or to support artistic or research projects.

Foundation Center does not give grants, make referrals to specific funders, or approach them on anyone's behalf. 

The following websites may offer information or assistance. If you need funds urgently, more immediate resources for funding may be available in your area, including government agencies, local organizations, and gifts or loans from generous individuals. You might also contact your elected officials to ask about government-sponsored or other programs for which you may be eligible.

See our related Knowledge Base articles:

Where can I find funding for personal expenses?
Where can I find help with emergency housing costs?
How can we raise money for a single individual or family in need?
Where can I find help with medical bills?

More articles for individual grantseekers

Topic(s) Find Corporate Donors Find Foundation Donors Support for Individual Grantseekers

Subject(s) Human Services

Population Group(s) People with Disabilities Seniors Veterans

Have a question about this topic? Ask us!

Foundation Center's Ask Us service will answer your questions within one business day.

Ask Us

Join Our Network!