Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - Friday, September 28, 2018
9:00 am - 4:00 pm ET
You must be logged in to enroll for this training.Login to Enroll
"After attending the Proposal Writing Boot Camp, I am more confident with creating a compelling letter of inquiry that will catch a funder's attention, and understanding the importance of a clear project budget and how to create one." -- June 2016, San Francisco, Proposal Writing Boot Camp participant
"I am more confident with what an LOI entails, what funders are looking for, other steps in the grantseeking process (besides writing). I loved all of the exercises and interactive, project-based learning you incorporated into the course!" -- June 2016, San Francisco, Proposal Writing Boot Camp participant
About the Proposal Writing Boot Camp
This three-day project-based immersion course focuses on the essential knowledge and skills fundraisers need to develop effective foundation proposals. Participants will become familiar with the key components of a competitive grant proposal to a foundation and learn best practices for developing a well-organized budget and a targeted list of foundation funding prospects. Participants will be encouraged to approach their proposal from the funder's perspective and to think critically about what makes a compelling pitch.
To accommodate diversity in learning styles, the three days are grounded in project-based learning and includes a variety of individual writing time, small group discussions and activities, peer review, and large group lecture.
Day 1: Participants develop the need statement, and gain peer feedback on their writing, then launch into an overview on using a logic model framework to craft the project description and program evaluation. An introduction and review of the letter of inquiry follows.
Day 2: Participants continue to gain familiarity and practice with components of a full proposal and letter of inquiry and draft and submit a 1-page letter of inquiry for day three's peer-review exercise. We continue to cover proposal packaging and online applications. In the afternoon, participants consider the mission-money matrix framework to prioritize fundraising in their organization, than learn to develop a project budget in the afternoon.
Day 3: Participants kick off the day learning how to research, approach and cultivate relationships with funders. In the afternoon, participants will engage in a live expert and peer-review of their submitted letter of inquiry. We wrap-up the three days together with closing exercise and evaluation.
- Develop selected elements of a proposal and letter of inquiry, and online application tips
- How to use a logic model framework to craft elements of the proposal
- Craft a budget that conveys an accurate picture of your project's needs and value
- What grantmakers look for and how they approach the proposal review process
- How to analyze and evaluate prospects using Foundation Directory Online Professional to determine a potential fit
- Develop a project/program logic model to get you started with a strong proposal narrative
- Practice writing selected components of the proposal
- Learn how to draft a project budget from scratch
- Research potential funding partners using Foundation Directory Online Professional
- Individuals who have 1-3 years fundraising experience and want to hone their foundation proposal writing skills
- Individuals who are interested in developing program/project design skills using the logic model framework
- Individuals who want to shift to a career in fundraising or as a grant writer and have a specific project in mind
- Consultants who want to expand their services to include proposal development
- Individuals who have government proposal development experience and want to add foundation fundraising to organizational funding mix
18 CFRE points
- Increase your confidence in creating a logic model, a grant proposal, and a proposal budget, with practical tools that you will be able to implement immediately
- Leave with a partial proposal, a logic model, a peer-reviewed letter of inquiry, and a list of foundation prospects
- Gain tools to improve communications and teamwork in fundraising and program planning in your organization
All levels of experience
- Comprehensive workbook and templates
- Sample letter of inquiries and sample proposals
- 2 weeks of complimentary access to Foundation Directory Online Professional
- Option to receive a certificate of attendance
Questions about this course?
Please get in touch! Email: email@example.com
Asia Hadley City Lead Foundation Center South View Bio
Maria Azuri Director Foundation Center South View Bio