Introduction to Finding Grants
Are you new to the field of grantseeking? Discover what funders are looking for in nonprofits seeking grants and how to find potential funders.
You will learn the 10 most important things you need to know about finding grants, including:
- Who funds nonprofits and what are their motivations.
- What do funders really want to know about the organizations they are interested in funding.
- How do you identify potential funders and make the first approach.
- A version of this recorded webinar is also offered in Spanish.
- This orientation is not intended for individuals seeking grants for their own use. Please refer to our Resources for Individual Grantseekers.
To attend a live session of this class in-person or online, see our upcoming dates.
To jump to a section, move the slider in the YouTube window above to its time point. For time points that you can click on, watch this video on our YouTube channel.
00:38 You Can’t Survive on Grants Alone
02:07 Types of Funders
07:34 Funder Motivations
08:38 Grant Writing is Never About the Need of Your Organization
09:28 What Qualifies as a Credible Nonprofit?
11:32 How to Start a Nonprofit
12:06 Do Your Homework First
12:35 The One Size Fits All Approach Doesn’t Work
13:06 To Get the Grant, You Have to How to Find the Right Match
15:02 How to Use the Foundation Directory Online
20:00 Ask for the Right Amount
24:04 Cultivating a Relationship with Funders
26:50 Sample Letters and Proposals on GrantSpace
27:05 Tips for the Initial Approach
28:57 Key Takeaways